POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hardware : Re: Hardware Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hardware
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 27 Dec 2013 10:33:52
Message: <52bd9de0$1@news.povray.org>

> On 22/12/2013 04:35 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> Time to buy a new graphics card... :-(
>
> ...of course, the thing about buying a graphics card is, how much do you
> want to spend?
>

> the same thing as I had before. But with slightly more RAM.
>
> What exactly is the significance of the amount of on-board RAM? I
> realise it's used for holding texture data, but what happens if the data
> doesn't all fit? Does the program just point-blank refuse to work, or
> does it merely cause a reduction in performance?

I guess it depends on the game.  some games will refuse to work at max
resolution, or with full textures and effects if they feel the HW won't
support it), others will plod along until something goes horribly (or
hilariously) wrong.  I remember playing a shoot-em up game where
sometimes, tanks or jeeps would show up as bright pink because the
texture wouldn't fit in ram.  (ex: in a field, tank is properly
rendered, because grass texture takes almost no room.  In a city, the
building and rubble textures already fill up the card's ram, so when the
panzers roll in, OOPS, they're pink!)