POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Dec 2013 13:10:35
Message: <52b87c9b$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:34:11 -0500, Warp wrote:

>> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 04:08:53 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> > In comics the bad guy basically never dies. It makes sense: The heros
>> > are not murderers.
>
>> [Spoiler warning:  If you haven't watched Man of Steel and don't want
>> to know how it ends, don't read any further]
>
>> That was one of the things about Man of Steel that was disappointing.
>
> Well, at least they set it up so that clearly Superman didn't want to
> kill him but had no other choice, and it caused him great pain.

It didn't come across that way to me at the time, but I can see your
point and how the scene also plays that way.

> I still disagree with the decision, though. Why can't they just follow
> the principle in the comics? Bad guys are punished, not murdered. If for
> no other reason, then for a pragmatic one: You can use the same badass
> villain in a sequel, bringing more money in. If anybody, producers
> should know this.

Well, yes, exactly.  My wife and I had a discussion about this (she's a
big comics geek), and the thing about Superman is that he's supposed to
be the embodiment of "American Exceptionalism" - a high standard that we
strive to achieve.  By murdering Zod, though, Nolan lowered the bar for
that standard.

Jim