POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oculus Rift rules : Re: Oculus Rift rules Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:23:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oculus Rift rules
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 23 Dec 2013 08:23:40
Message: <52b8395c$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/12/2013 09:23 AM, scott wrote:

> If it does take off then there are significant opportunities for further
> development, thinner, lighter headsets, higher resolution/framerate,
> wider FOV, wireless connection etc.

I spent all of last night reading about holographic displays.

[No, I do not mean volumetric displays. I mean a display where you
compute the interference patterns of an optical wavefront, then use some
kind of display device to produce that pattern.]

The big plus with this is that objects at different distances have
different focal depths - exactly like they do in the real world. The
machine basically generates the same light rays that the real object
would, so your eyes can respond to it the way they normally do already.
No weird glasses required. Multiple viewers possible. Etc.

The big downside is... you need an *insane* pixel pitch. And then you
need a small supercomputer if you want to draw this stuff in realtime.

I did see a demo of a commercial offering which is supposed to be coming
to market soon - but it uses eye-tracking to slash the amount of
processing power required. (I.e., it won't actually work in the real
world and so will never be commercially viable.)