POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oculus Rift rules : Re: Oculus Rift rules Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oculus Rift rules
From: scott
Date: 23 Dec 2013 06:14:19
Message: <52b81b0b$1@news.povray.org>
>> This is definitely the future, it's one of those things that you wonder
>> why it hasn't been developed sooner already. You have been able to get
>> 1080p resolution displays for years that size, the optical principles
>> involved have been known for centuries...
>
> I guess it's because earlier attempts to get this flying proved
> unsuccessful, so the industry put the idea aside.

True, I imagine the big players think it's too risky to commit any
serious resources to at the moment. Hopefully the OR will take off and
then everyone will be jumping to develop their own (better, cheaper)
version.

> Looking forward for Elite: Dangerous with that headgear. (Not that I
> expect to be able to afford the Oculus; I might have to beg, steal or
> borrow for it.)

Reading on wikipedia it is rumoured to be under $300, so hopefully about
the same price as a decent monitor. This is why I'm holding off
upgrading to a 3-screen setup for sim racing :-)