POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Hills, the evolution : Re: Hills, the evolution Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Hills, the evolution
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 23 Dec 2013 03:19:13
Message: <52b7f201$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-12-2013 8:44, jhu wrote:
> I always find making a good looking outdoor image difficult, especially when
> beginning. Often it's fairly discouraging, and I just give up. For this example,
> I saw this neat looking grassy valley which some trees that's somewhat foggy.
> Here's the best I could do after several iterations. Additionally, it took 12GiB
> of memory and 45 minutes to render. Fortunately my computer has plenty of RAM.
> Pretty awful, eh?

It is looking good though. I suppose it is mainly the grass that weights
down the memory? I think that in your image it also accounts for a
difficulty in judging the distances: the landscape seems smaller than it
should be, almost like a miniature. I often do two things in landscapes:
(1) I only plant 'grass' in the front half of the scene and use an
adequate texture for the background; alternatively, using Rune's grass
macro which is very fast and memory sober. (2) For simulating greater
distances, I scale the grass (and trees) gradually down with distance
from the camera. This optical illusion results in the perception of a
larger/wider landscape. Inversely, in some cases, it might be
interesting to scale up with distance, but that is another matter.

Thomas