POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : M*rn*ngt*n Cr*sc*nt until Xmas : Re: M*rn*ngt*n Cr*sc*nt until Xmas Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: M*rn*ngt*n Cr*sc*nt until Xmas
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Dec 2013 22:13:44
Message: <52b7aa68$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 00:12:46 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 22/12/2013 7:12 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Most of those needs don't have huge CPU requirements (or memory, for
>> that matter).  I'd probably look at a lower speed i7 or an i5 CPU, 8 GB
>> of memory.
>>

> Other than Pov your right. I agree. But since I think that I will be
> concentrating on Blender. PovRay should not be worked too hard.

The thing for Blender is if you use the Cycles rendering engine, you'll
want an nVidia higher-end GPU, which will add to the cost.

>> I haven't really looked at anything that lightweight in a while, just
>> because the costs were more than I wanted to spend.
>
> Me too.

What I currently use as a laptop is what I bought 2 years ago - a Dell
N7110 laptop.  8 GB of memory, i7 CPU, integrated Intel graphics.  Gets
the job done, and is even better than the newer desktop I have (8 cores
rather than 4).  But it does weigh like a laptop, too.

>> I understand the Acer ultrabooks are pretty good, though.
>
> Thanks, I'll have a look at them. It will be a good place to start. I
> had an Acer laptop the one before last. It might have been the one
> before that, even. It gave good service and I had no trouble with it.

That's always a promising start. :)

Jim