POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:22:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
From: Stephen
Date: 22 Dec 2013 19:23:46
Message: <52b78292$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/12/2013 7:31 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 08:54:25 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> Generally speaking, I agree but it is tiring that the good guys always
>> win and the black hats always lose.
>
> That's one thing I really look for when I'm looking for a good film or TV
> series - ambiguity in who the good guys and the bad guys are.

I've given up going to the movies and watching them on TV.
I've just watched a play about Kenneth Williams. A very troubled man,
indeed. There were no goodies nor baddies and it was a difficult watch.
Seeing how hard and sad life was for one of my childhood heroes.

> I really liked the remade Battlestar Galactica for this reason - I mean,
> the clarity in the start between the "good" and "bad" guys was clear, but
> as the programme progressed, you saw that it wasn't really as clear cut.
>
> Breaking Bad was similar, in that there really weren't /any/ good guys at
> all - all the characters were flawed to some extent.

It got good reviews but I knew that he would die in the end. Even in
American book, so my wife tells me. The character that does something
bad has got to pay for it.

> But writers and producers seem less willing these days to write stories
> that have such ambiguity in them.  Well, let's face it - these days,
> we're lucky to get anything that's actually a well thought-out story.
> It's more likely to be some "reality TV" garbage that's cheap to produce
> and makes shedloads of money from advertisers.

That seems to be the way of most things now-a-days.

> Heck, the "Sci Fi"
> channel (now sickeningly called "SyFy") is mostly *Wrestling* shows.  WTF?

Noy you know how we feel when we hear SF called Sci Fi. And while I am
on the subject. It is MATHS not math. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen