POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Dec 2013 16:22:38
Message: <52b7581e$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:35:31 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>> That's one thing I really look for when I'm looking for a good film or
>> TV series - ambiguity in who the good guys and the bad guys are.
>
> One of the things I look for is WHY is this guy evil?

That's a good thing to look for.  It's also interesting to listen to
actors talk about playing the "bad guy" - most of the time, what they're
looking for before they inhabit the role is the character's motivation -
and usually it's because they think it's the right thing to do.

> Let's face it, how many actual humans set out to do something "because
> it's evil"? Mostly people set out to do things because they think it's
> necessary, or because they don't see what trouble it will cause, or
> whatever. Most people don't wake up and think "what's the most evil
> thing I could possibly do today?"

That's one of the complexities of Zod in Man of Steel that was
interesting - he really thought he was doing the right thing, in order to
save the people of Krypton.  That he was going to do it by wiping out
humanity was incidental to him, because it was about the survival of
*his* race.

That does make for an interesting story.

Jim