POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 22 Dec 2013 14:31:52
Message: <52b73e28@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 08:54:25 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> Generally speaking, I agree but it is tiring that the good guys always
> win and the black hats always lose.

That's one thing I really look for when I'm looking for a good film or TV
series - ambiguity in who the good guys and the bad guys are.

I really liked the remade Battlestar Galactica for this reason - I mean,
the clarity in the start between the "good" and "bad" guys was clear, but
as the programme progressed, you saw that it wasn't really as clear cut.

Breaking Bad was similar, in that there really weren't /any/ good guys at
all - all the characters were flawed to some extent.

But writers and producers seem less willing these days to write stories
that have such ambiguity in them.  Well, let's face it - these days,
we're lucky to get anything that's actually a well thought-out story.
It's more likely to be some "reality TV" garbage that's cheap to produce
and makes shedloads of money from advertisers.  Heck, the "Sci Fi"
channel (now sickeningly called "SyFy") is mostly *Wrestling* shows.  WTF?

Jim