POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft support : Re: Microsoft support Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:29:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft support
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 22 Dec 2013 12:28:06
Message: <52b72126$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/12/2013 07:50 AM, Warp wrote:
> One of their biggest flaws is that they seemingly have this idea that
> a new version of their OS (or other software suit) has to look&feel
> different from the previous version, for the sole reason of
> looking&feeling different from the previous version, even at the cost
> of usability (and often even at the cost of breaking *their own*
> GUI design and usability principles.)

I think this criticism probably applies far more sharply to MS Office
than to Windows. Remember the whole "ribbon" debacle?

You can understand why it happens. From a marketing perspective, if a
user just paid $$$ for the new product, they expect it to "look new". If
it looks utterly identical to the previous one, they might realise that
actually MS hasn't added a single new feature to Office in the last 20
years, and start wondering why they're still paying money for "new"
versions...

PS. I'm not bitter.