POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting : Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the greatest mysteries of screenwriting
From: Warp
Date: 22 Dec 2013 04:08:53
Message: <52b6ac25@news.povray.org>
> I'm fine with moral tone - if it's a positive moral. But Hollywood (and
> unfortunately the vast majority of other movies as well) demands that
> anything adversary - be it people or conditions - needs to be
> /defeated/; reconciliation is rarely ever presented as an option.

In comics the bad guy basically never dies. It makes sense: The heros
are not murderers.

In movies, however, the bad guy basically always dies.

One example in particular comes to mind because of how the creators
regretted killing the antagonist: The 1989 Batman movie. Since the
character of the Joker became so immensely popular, the producers
regretted having killed him, and thus he couldn't be in the sequels.
They were seriously thinking of bringing him back using some dumbass
reason.

This might have been one of the reasons why they made an unusual
exception in The Dark Knight: They probably learned their lesson.

Too bad nobody else has learned it.

--
                                                          - Warp