POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Example of Isosurface star fields. : Re: Example of Isosurface star fields. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Example of Isosurface star fields.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 20 Dec 2013 08:45:18
Message: <52b449ee$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/20/2013 07:17 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> That is fascinating indeed. Very worthwhile to try out.
>
> Just for a reminder: what is the (exact) name of Sam's macro again? I
> have so many macro's by Sam that I am lost (or I may have missed it, of
> course). Thanks.
>
> Thomas
Thanks.

See p.bscene-files : "ToVolume: Object-To-Volume Conversion and
Rendering Process".

Note. With that include he provided an all POV-Ray canned process for
converting any object into a 3D isosurface using generated, stacked
blurred-image planes. I've been working mostly outside his include,
though using his blurred image technique via GIMP with just one plane,
one image, as the basis for various isosurfaces.

The blurred image technique at the core of his ToVolume include is a
remarkably flexible and easy way to "create" isosurfaces. It is
basically 2D image -> blur(1) -> save-image and render.

While I'd used images to deform isosurfaces, I did not get that 2D
images alone could define isosurfaces until I saw Sam was doing exactly
this (and more) in his ToVolume include.

Bill P.
(1) - The blur rounds, sets the 1-0 gradient and effectively sets the
max depth of any further isosurface surface deformation.