POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Opaque clouds? : Re: Opaque clouds? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opaque clouds?
From: David Given
Date: 18 Dec 2013 13:37:56
Message: <52b1eb84@news.povray.org>
On 18/12/13 15:19, David Given wrote:
[...]
> It does occur to me that I'm going to need another media anyway, for
> when I add cumulus clouds low down. So I might try to wrap the cirrus
> clouds into that. If I make the clouds media the same size as the
> atmospheric media then I should avoid any embarrassing edges. It's a bit
> of a waste given that the atmosphere is 200km thick, but it'll probably
> work.

No, that doesn't work. The atmospheric shell is 200km thick, but the
cloud layer within it is only 1km thick. This means that unless I'm
looking at an oblique angle through the clouds, then chances are that no
samples will hit the clouds, and so Povray thinks the media is empty.
The end result is that I can see clouds a long way off but the camera's
surrounded by a circle of blue sky.

I can crank up the number of samples but I still end up with weird
artifacts (and very slow renders). This is all being implemented as a
single object with two medias: oddly, the number of samples for the
first media is being used for both. The samples setting for the second
media is ignored completely...

Picture enclosed. It's interesting artistically, but that's supposed be
a completely homogeneous shell 1km thick...

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────

Post a reply to this message