POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Opaque clouds? : Re: Opaque clouds? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Opaque clouds?
From: David Given
Date: 18 Dec 2013 10:19:05
Message: <52b1bce9$1@news.povray.org>
On 18/12/13 01:53, clipka wrote:
[...]
> Tests with a simple sample scene show that I was wrong as well: The
> "hollow" keyword does essentially work as you expected. Instead, the
> problem is somehow related to the way the media is sampled. Severely
> cranking up the number of samples reduces the effect to invisibility.

I'm very sorry to hear that --- my renders already take an age. I've
tried the atmospheric media with a samples setting of 60 and the
artifact is still present.

It does occur to me that I'm going to need another media anyway, for
when I add cumulus clouds low down. So I might try to wrap the cirrus
clouds into that. If I make the clouds media the same size as the
atmospheric media then I should avoid any embarrassing edges. It's a bit
of a waste given that the atmosphere is 200km thick, but it'll probably
work.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────