POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft support : Re: Microsoft support Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft support
From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2013 02:50:33
Message: <52ad5f49@news.povray.org>
> One thing I've observed over the years of Microsoft products is that they
> tend to aim for "good enough" rather than "perfect".  Sadly, that's the
> way of things in software creation - the companies that make technically
> excellent software - and groundbreaking software - tend not to do as well
> because they spend too much on development and not enough on marketing.

One of their biggest flaws is that they seemingly have this idea that
a new version of their OS (or other software suit) has to look&feel
different from the previous version, for the sole reason of
looking&feeling different from the previous version, even at the cost
of usability (and often even at the cost of breaking *their own*
GUI design and usability principles.)

There are many things that Windows 3 did right in terms of usability
of the GUI design. Each new version of Windows has chopped off those
design principles one by one.

Sadly, this trend has infected other companies as well (I'm looking
at you, Apple. Each new version of OS X is worse and worse in terms
of GUI design and usability.)

--
                                                          - Warp