POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Microsoft support : Re: Microsoft support Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Microsoft support
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Dec 2013 00:22:18
Message: <52ad3c8a$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 02:57:36 +0100, clipka wrote:

> Yeah, because the docs really don't do the product /per se/ any justice.
> But I've yet to see a software development product where that is /not/
> the case.

The trend in documentation (speaking as someone who's spent the last
couple years working as a contractor doing documentation and other
technical writing) has been to move away from rather useless descriptive
documentation (I know what the File menu does, so you don't need to tell
me) and moving towards task-based or "targeted" documentation.

The success of targeted documentation depends heavily, though, on
collaboration with UX engineers and UI designers - the UI should be
completely intuitive and not require /any/ documentation to use it,
ideally.  Then documentation can focus on procedures around how to
accomplish goals and perform tasks.

More advanced topics - like troubleshooting and advanced configuration
(large scale, heavy use, etc) are either advanced documentation or
training topics.

Jim