POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oculus Rift rules : Oculus Rift rules Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:32:38 EDT (-0400)
  Oculus Rift rules
From: Warp
Date: 14 Dec 2013 16:40:08
Message: <52acd038@news.povray.org>
I got to try the development version of Oculus Rift.

One slight problem I have ever had with "fake" 3D, eg. with 3D movies,
is that I don't easily get the impression of things coming "out" of the
screen (ie. closer to me than the screen is). To some degree yes, but
the closer the thing is supposed to be to the viewer, the less capable
I am of seeing it like that, for some reason. (Instead, it tends to
look blurred, even doubled.)

With the Oculus Rift, however, the impression of depth was just perfect,
no matter how far or, especially, how close the detail is supposed to be.
Even things that are like a few centimeters from your face really looked
like they were that close. Nothing looked like I had trouble focusing,
nor did I get any image-doubling problems.

(The Oculus Rift uses lenses so that you can focus your eyes to the
distance, and the image will look sharp like that. It would obviously
not work at all if it didn't have such lenses.)

The only problem with the development version is that it has a
ridiculously small resolution. The final version will apparently have
a full-hd 1080p resolution, so it ought to look much better.

I am actually eagerly awaiting for the final version to come out.
I really want to play games like Portal 2 with one. (Even if it turns
out to be just a temporary fad, a curiosity that's in practice unsuitable
to be used for long periods of time to play games eg. because it's too
straining, I think that it will still be cool enough to purchase, even
if it's expensive.)

I really hope that they do the smart thing in games that have direct
support for it, ie. that you don't turn by turning your head, but turning
your head just turns the "camera" (not the direction where you are pointing
at, ie. the direction that your weapon points to and where you walk when
you press the forward key.)

--
                                                          - Warp