POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad weather in Gancaloon - wip 5 : Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon - wip 5 Server Time
30 Jul 2024 00:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon - wip 5
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 13 Dec 2013 10:29:28
Message: <52ab27d8@news.povray.org>
On 11-12-2013 17:41, s.day wrote:

> That must be some serious wind to shear the trees like that, this is looking
> great, the trunks on the trees on the left look a bit flat but you already say
> you are not happy with them so hopefully will find a way to improve it (if you
> do let me know as I have suffered this problem before with arbaro).

In POV-Tree, the answer is in the combination of BARK_PROFILE (in the
Bark section) which should be set to 1, and TRUNK_STRENGTH (in the Trunk
section) which should be set to 1 or higher. Lower values for the latter
result in rougher/deeper bark while higher values result in
smoother/shallower bark. Note that this will only apply to the blob
version of the tree (TomTree proper) and not to the mesh export of the
tree. That one always remains smooth and should probably be treated with
an adequate normal. Besides, uv_mapping is not working really well for
the mesh export.

Btw, Tom Aust has a nice site showing some remarkable trees. Wish I
could make them as perfect <sigh>. Practice! Practice!
http://www.aust-manufaktur.de/austv2x.html

I have not yet tackled the problem with Arbaro but will do that in due time.

Thomas