POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lunar terrain : Re: Lunar terrain Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lunar terrain
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 10 Dec 2013 07:20:09
Message: <52a706f9@news.povray.org>
On 10-12-2013 9:39, Stephen wrote:
> David Given <dg### [at] cowlarkcom> wrote:
>> On 09/12/13 15:26, Stephen wrote:
>> [...]
>>> For Grass I often use Rune S. Johansen's GRASS TEX include file.
>>> I was going to post the link but when I try to go to it, Access Denied.
>>
>> Ooh, nice. It fakes grass using a single pigment rather than using lots
>> of primitives, so it's cheap for big areas. I'll have a go --- any ideas
>> how it looks at a distance? I doubt I'll get the camera closer than a
>> few hundred metres to the ground. And there's lots of other useful stuff
>> there I can steal^H^H^H^H^H research...

Also from the TC-RTC comes this image where I used Rune's grass macro,
with the 'path' variation and the flowers:
http://www.tc-rtc.co.uk/imagenewdisplay/stills/index418.html

This goes from near to far and view remains good. The 3D effect of the
grass is mainly controlled by the distance between the ground
height_field and the 'fake' grass, which is a copy of the height_field
in fact. Note however, that I added some 'real' grass patches.

Thomas