POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lunar terrain : Re: Lunar terrain Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lunar terrain
From: clipka
Date: 9 Dec 2013 19:52:44
Message: <52a665dc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.12.2013 01:41, schrieb David Given:
> Update (just managed to catch the dawn light on the trees!), with some
> vastly improved textures (not that you can see them because it's so
> dark).

I really, really love the lighting in this scene!

> There are three problems:
>
> (a) nasty aliasing in the waves at the bottom --- I suspect this only
> shows up because it's a 400x300 test render, but is there a good way to
> make this look less bad in general?

UberPOV's anti-aliasing mode 3 does a very good job with such stuff.

> (b) the Earth's gone brown --- this *might* be a real effect; I think
> the sky is sucking the blue out of it;

That is to be expected indeed; same effect as the sun going orange near
the horizon.

> (c) unpleasant banding in the sky.
>
> The sky is a relatively straightforward Rayleigh media stolen from the
> Terrapov project; code follows. Any suggestions on how to fix the
> banding? I'm *this* close to doing a final render for someone...

Use jitter on the media samples.

If this makes the sky look too noisy, go for UberPOV's anti-aliasing mode 3.