POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lunar terrain : Re: Lunar terrain Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lunar terrain
From: David Given
Date: 9 Dec 2013 19:41:08
Message: <52a66324$1@news.povray.org>
Update (just managed to catch the dawn light on the trees!), with some
vastly improved textures (not that you can see them because it's so
dark). There are three problems:

(a) nasty aliasing in the waves at the bottom --- I suspect this only
shows up because it's a 400x300 test render, but is there a good way to
make this look less bad in general?

(b) the Earth's gone brown --- this *might* be a real effect; I think
the sky is sucking the blue out of it;

(c) unpleasant banding in the sky.

The sky is a relatively straightforward Rayleigh media stolen from the
Terrapov project; code follows. Any suggestions on how to fix the
banding? I'm *this* close to doing a final render for someone...

#local Bottom_Of_Atmosphere = Nominal_Terrain_Radius + Atmosphere_Base;
#local Top_Of_Atmosphere = Bottom_Of_Atmosphere
	+ Atmospheric_Depth;

#local Base_Rayleigh_Power = 6.7;
#local Rayleigh_Factor = 1 / Atmospheric_Scale;
#local Rayleigh_Scale = 0.5;
#local Rayleigh_Power = Base_Rayleigh_Power * Rayleigh_Factor;

#local Rayleigh_Density =
	density	{
            #local height_from_centre =
	        function(x, y, z) {
	            sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z)
	        }

	    #local height_from_surface =
	        function(x, y, z) {
	            height_from_centre(x, y, z) - Bottom_Of_Atmosphere
	        }

	    #local gravity_factor =
	        function(x, y, z) {
	            (1/3) * Bottom_Of_Atmosphere / height_from_centre(x, y, z)
	        }

		function
		{
			Rayleigh_Scale * exp(-Rayleigh_Power * height_from_surface(x, y, z)
            )
            	}
	}

#local Rayleigh_Colour = rgb <0.2061, 0.3933, 1.0>;

#local Rayleigh_Media =
	media {
		method 3
		samples 31
		scattering {
			RAYLEIGH_SCATTERING
			color 2.3 * Rayleigh_Colour / Atmospheric_Scale
			extinction 1
		}
		density {
			Rayleigh_Density