POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Lunar terrain : Lunar terrain Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:20:58 EDT (-0400)
  Lunar terrain
From: David Given
Date: 9 Dec 2013 08:37:25
Message: <52a5c795@news.povray.org>
This is an anonymous little island in the Sea of Smyth, on the eastern
limb of the Moon (lat -7.80 lon 86.34). As you can see, the terraforming
program is well underway.

This was made using 6GB of lunar topography data from the Lunar
Reconnaissance Orbiter spacecraft, plus a bespoke tool of my own to
generate a mesh from it. It also adds a certain amount of procedural
deformation. This isn't particularly successful; I'm trying to make
steep slopes more interesting, but the rocky foreshore looks terrible.
My textures suck, too. Any suggestions for where to find better ones? I
need various kinds of vegetation and rock from a distance.

The trees are the standard maple from Povtree; they're 30 to 60m high,
which is kinda big but then this is the moon.

Render time was about one minute forty for the generation and parsing
and about seven minutes for the raytrace. The generated files are huge:
200m tokens, and take an age to parse.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ─────
http://www.cowlark.com ─────