POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: andrel
Date: 19 Jan 2014 17:08:22
Message: <52DC4CD3.3070909@gmail.com>
On 19-1-2014 14:40, clipka wrote:
> If you ask me, the only entirely rational stance towards a supreme being
> is that of an /agnostic/ - a person that neither asserts nor denies the
> existence of a supreme being, and rather comes to the conclusion that we
> simply can't know for sure.
>
> Such a person may still lean towards theism or atheism - believing in
> the existence or absence of a supreme being based on "gut feeling" - but
> either way they won't carry this belief as a dogma.

I think I said it before here, I am a true and religious atheist. After
long and hard thinking about ethics I came to the conclusion that theism
can not form a foundation for an ethics*. Basically because, unless you
are the prophet, you have to rely on other people (i.e. prophets and
disciples) to tell you what is right and wrong. There is no way you can
check whether the prophet gives the right interpretation and it is clear
that different prophets have taken opposite positions as to what the
same god meant.

Then I found a way to found an ethics based on the assumption that god
does not exist. And I have lived by that ever since and it has become a
part of who I really am. If a god turns up my entire belief system will
be in disarray. (luckily that won't happen)

I don't think I could base a morality on an agnostic point of view, so I
stick to being an atheist if you don't mind.

> It should be noted that in common parlance the atheist and agnostic
> views are often poorly distinguished, with both being labeled as "atheist".

It is part of the concept of everything being black or white. And btw it
is mainly theists that lump atheists and agnostics. It is also very
common to label people who don't know as agnostics, which is just as wrong.

*) I do not mean they are incompatible. I do know many theists that live
a very ethical life and don't bother that the prophet was possibly
making things up. It does not stop them from being good.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.