POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Replicators NOT drones : Re: Replicators NOT drones Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:24:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Replicators NOT drones
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Dec 2013 20:08:58
Message: <529d2f2a@news.povray.org>
On 12/2/2013 5:58 PM, James Holsenback wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 03:09 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Mon, 02 Dec 2013 13:11:10 -0500, James Holsenback wrote:
>>
>>> hey if bezos /really/ is the visionary everyone says he is ... he'd be
>>> looking into replicators (ala star trek) NOT drones
>>
>> Either that or transporters.  There's not a lot of money to be made in
>> fabrication-on-demand technology like replicators, but transporters -
>> well, that's just another delivery mechanism. :)
>
> too bad we have to wait for some egghead to figure out how to convert
> matter to energy then back ... hey 10/15 years ago the idea of a 3d
> printer would have been considered a pipe dream, so I don't think the
> eventual reality is /too/ far fetched.

Except.. Unless you know how to make "Heisenberg Compensators", you are
out of luck. lol The problem isn't just getting all the matter turned to
energy, without like.. turning it into a nuke, or getting a mess of a
specific kind of energy to rearrange itself into all the different stuff
making up atoms, which is a big enough problem, but then you have the
sort of.. problematic issue of getting all the resulting subatomic
particles to go, and stay, where you want them, long enough to form the
right sort of atoms, instead of... what ever the hell they feel like,
and where ever they want to be, instead.

This is.... a rather non-trivial issue, compared to figuring out how to
melt a relatively stable material, keep it warm enough for all the bits
to stick together right (if using the home-grown kind, as apposed to the
resin versions, which use lasers to "fix" the layers in place), in a
manner that is little more than a computer controlled version of cake
decorating. :p