POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gamut-mapped spectral rendering : Re: Gamut-mapped spectral rendering Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:26:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamut-mapped spectral rendering
From: Ive
Date: 2 Dec 2013 01:41:38
Message: <529c2ba2$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.12.2013 04:31, schrieb Cousin Ricky:
> Ive <ive### [at] lilysoftorg> wrote:
>> Coincidental I'm just about to release version 0.2 (within the next few
>> hours, just one more example scene to render) so in case you are willing
>> to share your addition (AFAIR gamut mapping was on my to-do-list anyway)
>> your contribution would be quite welcome.
>
> It is a modification to SpectralComposer.pov, which I also converted to a .inc
> file because I prefer that to modifying a library file for each project.  Should
> I email it to you?

Please do so!

>> Note that HDR values are not addressed by gamut-mapping but are again an
>> art of its own.
>
> And I see that's also on your to-do list, although UberPOV /may/ make that job
> easier.

Yes, as far as I understand it, Christoph did implement some kind of
HDR-tonemapping but I didn't try it myself yet. Anyway, I would prefer
to have just official POV-Ray as requirement.

>> Personally I do prefer to do stuff like this as post-processing.
>
> That would certainly be faster than doing it with SDL.  However, I'm not sure
> that the wrap-around that often happens with POV-Ray pigment functions won't
> thwart that when the entire render is a giant pigment function.

Well, that is what HDR_min and HDR_max are meant for - and it should
work, in case I didn't make a stupid mistake somewhere that is ;)

> (Otherwise, couldn't we do the gamut mapping in post-processing as well?)

Yes, sure, but writing SDL code is kinda fun and reading it might even
be interesting for people who would otherwise not care about some C++
code ;)

-Ive