POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.bugreports : Strong pigment gradients, SSLT and AA : Re: Strong pigment gradients, SSLT and AA Server Time
25 Apr 2024 23:49:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strong pigment gradients, SSLT and AA
From: FlyerX
Date: 29 Nov 2013 16:12:26
Message: <5299033a$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/29/2013 10:08 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 29.11.2013 12:42, schrieb FlyerX:
>
>> With SSLT (marble):
>> http://imgur.com/MoGWfDq
>> The edges between the colors are strongly aliased. Almost looks as if AA
>> is switched off but the edge of the sphere shows that AA is active.
>
> Try to avoid zero color components; for instance, you could use an
> "average" pigment with a small bit of white mixed in. Something like
> 0.001 shoud already be sufficient.
>
> What happens is that currently the SSLT code cannot yet cope with zero
> color components, belches out a "Not a Number" (NaN) value for that
> particular color channel, and the AA step is unable to handle that,
> computing the average of NaN and any other valid number as NaN. The
> image encoding algorithm then happens to encode the NaN as 0.

Clipka,

Thank you very much for the tip. No wonder the red area in the render
was completely noisy.

I added the following to the material:

#declare pave=pigment{average pigment_map{
     [1 p_map1]
     [1 color rgb 0.001]
   }
   }

and called pave in the material{} instead of p_map1 and the AA is back.
There is a very small render time penalty (6%) but at least it works
better now.

I will put this workaround in PoseRay tonight.

later,

FlyerX