POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Adventures with WCF : Re: Adventures with WCF Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:24:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Adventures with WCF
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 15 Nov 2013 09:11:07
Message: <52862b7b$1@news.povray.org>

>> TCP only ensures that data that is split in multpiple packets will be
>> rassembled in the right order at the other end. It does not tell you
>> ahead of time how much data to expect, so you can't know in advance if
>> you should still be waiting for the end of that XML document, or if it
>> was malformed and is missing closing tags, and you should simply
>> reject it.
>
> If the XML is machine-generated, it shouldn't ever be malformed. If it
> is, that's a bug.

A bug that has been exploited by many a malware.  ;-)  Trust no one!

> (Which I suppose is something real applications have
> to deal with, but it doesn't concern me overly much.)

True, but it is a good idea to develop good programming habits and do
some error-checking nonetheless.

To reuse the powertool analogy that you and Warp are discussing, even if
you develop the habit of wearing gloves and protective eyewear everytime
you use your circular saw, even for small jobs, you have a much smaller
risk of injuring yourself, the day you're tearing down the old kitchen
counters and the saw hits a nail and jumps back at you.

>> To prevent unauthorized traffic from leaving or entering your network
>> (or parts of it). To mask the details of how the back-end of your server
>> farm is laid out. There are many valid uses for proxies, apart from
>> caching the Google Doodle of the day to speed up the users' connection
>> and cut down on bandwidth usage.
>
> Isn't that what a firewall does?

Firewall only inspect and block unauthorised traffic from leaving or
entering a network, but for them to work, you need an actual route to
the outside world to exist and point to the firewall.  With a proxy, you
can actually NOT have any route to the internet on your inside lan.
Your Proxy has two interfaces, one on the inside lan (and everyone uses
that in their broswer config), and another one on an internet-accessible
network.  This kills most bots and other malware dead.

In a corporate environment, you'd typically have such a setup to isolate
the developpers (or "guest" wifi access, for example) from the rest of
the production network, so that they can play as much as they want with
their toys while still having access to needed intranet and internet
resources, without impacting the rest of the business.

> The long and short of it is, I managed to configure WCF to *not* use
> HTTP, and it works exactly the same as if it *did* use HTTP. Which, to
> me, rather suggests that using HTTP is a total waste of time.

A 30 second google tells me that you can do something called
"NetTcpBinding" instead of "BasicHttpBinding".  I have no idea if that
is what you are looking for because I don't know how the framework works
and this was just a blog entry explaining how to tell a server to say
"Hello World!" and it didn't delve into the various intricacies of not
using BasicHttpBinding.