POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Assessment : Re: Assessment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assessment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Nov 2013 15:51:43
Message: <528537df@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:29:53 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

>>> Remember that "the company" consists of less than 10 humans [decimal].
>>> When a company is that tiny, they don't necessarily have a grand
>>> "corporate vision" laid out in meticulous detail.
>>
>> Well, I'm assuming it's not a lawnmowing business, or a garden centre,
>> or an aircraft manufacturer.
>>
>> So the product must do *something* specific.
>
> Very loosely, computer security software.

OK.  So that's a start. :)

>> Don't say things like "if I didn't do it, someone else would" because
>> the point of the self-assessment is that /you did it/.  It wasn't
>> someone else.
>
> Sure. It's just that I don't feel like I wrote anything that nobody else
> in the room could have easily written, that's all.

That doesn't matter.  What matters is that *you* wrote it.  So write that
you wrote it.  That's what a performance review is about - not about
whether you think someone else could've written it, but that you were the
one who was tasked with it and are the one who wrote it.

>>> Well, this year I wrote code for about 25 different small tasks. A
>>> list of 25 items seems a little excessive though...
>>
>> Start with the list of 25 items, then work with your manager to
>> classify the items in more broad categories if necessary.
>>
>> I had performance reviews/self assessments/goals that included maybe 4
>> or 5 main categories, each with a half dozen items under them.  That's
>> not unusual.
>
> OK...

You're getting there. :)

Jim