POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : 3D Glass Sintering : Re: 3D Glass Sintering Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:25:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 3D Glass Sintering
From: clipka
Date: 14 Nov 2013 15:49:06
Message: <52853742$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.11.2013 21:20, schrieb Samuel Benge:

>>> Has anyone ever converted direct sunlight into a laser? Or by "laser," do you
>>> actually just mean "parallel light beam?"
>>
>> Lasing media are typically pumped (i.e. supplied with energy to emit
>> actual laser light) by some kind of conventional light source - so why
>> not sunlight?
>
> Never said it wasn't possible; I was just wondering it anyone had actually made
> it work :\ Also, why would laser light be better than simply using parallel
> rays?

I guess seriously parallel rays are difficult to achieve in the first
place - with one notable solution happening to be the laser.

To achieve parallel rays with optics - whether conventional or fiber
optics - you either need a sufficiently point-like light source, or one
that's far away enough to appear sufficiently point-like. The sun
doesn't really fit that bill. Light from some other star would probably
be fine, if it wasn't for the lack in intensity.