POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Assessment : Re: Assessment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assessment
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 13 Nov 2013 17:49:20
Message: <528401f0$1@news.povray.org>
>> *mumble something about the company not actually having any defined
>> direction*
>
> Certainly someone must have an idea what the company does.

Remember that "the company" consists of less than 10 humans [decimal].
When a company is that tiny, they don't necessarily have a grand
"corporate vision" laid out in meticulous detail.

 From what I can gather, the business owner's plan is to make a product
that does everything for everybody. Every time a customer mentions
something the product doesn't do, we must immediately implement that
feature.

I presume I don't need to explain why this is a flawed approach?

> You're very
> secretive about even where you work, so it's kinda difficult to provide
> specific information.
>
> What market does the company serve?  Who are its competitors?

Put simply, we make stuff used by several foreign governments, and if
you want to know exactly what it does, you're going to need security
clearance.

Not joking.

That probably makes it sound *far* more exciting than it actually is.
But obviously I'm not going to sit here and talk about it on some random
Internet forum that anybody can read.

What I can tell you is this: There are only so many governments in the
world. So our market is small, and competing products number dozens
rather than thousands or something.

>> Thing is, if I say "I wrote some code", that's too short. And if I
>> describe everything I implemented - even just the noteworthy stuff -
>> that's *way* too long.
>
> There's a middle ground.  "I wrote code that does 'x'" - as a summary,
> not a detailed description.

Well, this year I wrote code for about 25 different small tasks. A list
of 25 items seems a little excessive though...