POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Assessment : Re: Assessment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Assessment
From: andrel
Date: 13 Nov 2013 16:25:50
Message: <5283EE52.2090909@gmail.com>
On 12-11-2013 20:17, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> On 12/11/2013 02:13 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> At this point, I have to wonder - why am I filling this form out again?
>>> What "goals" or "achievements" can I invent to put in these boxes? How
>>> can I pretend these are related to the company mission?
>>>

>> Did you have any deadlines? Did you meet them?
>>
>> Did you resolve any big problem that was delaying a project?
>>
>> Did you find ways of making XYZ run faster? By how much?
>>
>> Was your code relevant to anything the company did? How so? Would the
>> company have fared any worse without your code?
>
> At my previous place, the answer to all of the above is pretty much "no".
>
> At my current place... well, they pay me to write code all day long. If
> I hadn't written that code, somebody else would have written it, which
> means it would have taken the company slightly longer to get where it is
> now.

That sort of implies that you have no skills that are unique. I find
that hard to believe. There are probably specific tasks that people turn
to you to. Either because you do them faster or better. Better either
because more readable or more thorough.

Some of these things might even be related to Haskell as a spill over.
Not that you use the language, but you may use techniques borrowed from
there.

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.