POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tovolume: Sam found ridiculously easy way to create shapes. : Re: Tovolume: Sam found ridiculously easy way to create shapes. Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:17:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tovolume: Sam found ridiculously easy way to create shapes.
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 27 Oct 2013 10:15:53
Message: <526d2019$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/26/2013 08:10 PM, Alain wrote:

> I have'nt tryed the third version, but I got very good renders, much
> faster after some little changes to your code.
>
> First, max_gradient 160 if huge overkill.
> Using max_gradient 1.5 resulted in a nice render without any message
> about max_gradient been to small or to large.
> Next, I used:
> #declare MinFact = 0.6;
> evaluate 1.5*MinFact, sqrt(1/MinFact), 0.7
> and got a slightly faster render.
>
> Next, I reduced the contained_by object as follow:
> box {<-0.34,0.02,-0.34><0.34,0.908,0.34> }
>
> It's now much tighter and large enough to contain the whole isosurface.
> This got me another performance increase.
>
> Alain

Yes, good suggestions. I didn't tighten up my scribble and render set up
before posting and I've never gotten my head to understand the evaluate
option of isosurfaces.

Your post reminded me of one note I forgot to mention. On reading the
image file, it is possible to play with the gamma option - even outside
the range of common gamma values. You can get interesting scalloping
effects. Especially true where the image is used for flat surface
displacements.

Bill P.