POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Going dark : Re: Going dark Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Going dark
From: scott
Date: 22 Oct 2013 03:43:36
Message: <52662ca8@news.povray.org>
> I assumed it was only *cheap* houses where they do this. (Then again,
> it's not like I'm a housing expert...)

I'm no expert either, but I can think of two reasons why they space
plasterboard out from the blocks now rather than plaster the blocks
directly. One is that you can route power cables and water pipes in the
void (no need to chisel out block everywhere or use thicker cable
because it will be not be in free air). The other is that it probably
offers a bit more insulation on external walls.

>> http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_images/fixingtoplasterboard/1923_l.jpg
>
> Yeah, we tried that. Trouble is, you don't know where the wooden battens
> are hiding...

You use an awl first (or a very small flat bladed screwdriver) to poke
through. If you hit wood then you can just use a normal wood screw, if
you hit air then you screw in one of the above. When you've made the
small hole it's also worth checking the depth to make sure the above
plug will fit all the way in. If it's not deep enough then you can clip
the pointy end off the plug (you don't need it as you've already made
the hole).

> Like I say, the weight of a mere toilet roll holder was enough to break
> one fixing...

IME the ones where you are meant to leave the screw sticking out 10mm
and hook something over don't last (especially something that gets
wiggled about every day). It's much better to only use the screw to
clamp the item against the wall, it's then the friction between the item
and wall holding it up, there should be minimal downwards loading on the
screw/fixing.

If it's only wrecked a small bit of plaster you can usually drill out a
bigger hole and use the flappy metal clip I suggested (I forget, but I
think they need a 10mm hole or something to fit through). The benefit of
those is that they force you to clamp a plate or bracket to the wall,
you can't just leave the screw sticking out 10mm to hang something on.