POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld : Re: Ringworld Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld
From: Alain
Date: 15 Oct 2013 20:55:27
Message: <525de3ff$1@news.povray.org>
Le 13-10-14 12:25, posfan12 a écrit :
> I've tweaked the landscape a bit and added two belts of clouds. I'm not
> sure the two belts make sense on the ringworld. On Earth there is one
> cloud belt around the equator, and several jet streams I think.

On the Ring World, there is no Coriolis effect. If there was any, it
would spin along some axis parallel to the gound, go from side to side
and be excruciantly slow.

There would be convection winds. During the day, air go up over land and
down over sea, ground winds toward the shores and high altitude winds
toward the sea. It reverse itself during the nights as the sea cool down
much slower than the land.

With a width of about 1000000 Km, you surely have some gravitational
pull toward the wing's plane. This would result in the athmosphere
bulging up in the middle, making it thicker.