POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ringworld : Re: Ringworld Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:12:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ringworld
From: Alain
Date: 11 Oct 2013 13:05:05
Message: <52582fc1$1@news.povray.org>

> "posfan12" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>>> OK, I am trying to apply the dimensions in your Excel file. Problem is, if I
>>> zoom out far enough for the ring to be in view, I can no longer see the sun! The
>>> sun doesn't show up at all.
>>>
>>> Is this intentional?
>>>

>>> Mike
>>

>> Never mind. It's an issue with media. See my post in povray.text.scene-files.
>>

>> Mike
>
> No, it's still to small! Even after I remove the media.
>
> :(
>

> Mike

If the ring have about the same radius as Earth's orbit, it make it's
radius about 160 000 000 Km. That's realy huge.

to be even larger than that to maintain a correct temperature.

Compare it to the actual size of the sun. The sun may very well be
smaller than a single pixel unless you render an image large enough.
Also, the ring itself would be extremely narrow, probably about a single
pixel whide, at most. If the ring does have a visible width, it would
mean that it's something like more than 1 000 000 Km whide...

You need to use artistic liberty by not using realistic proportions if
you want the ring and the sun to be both visible.

Alain