POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:26:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Shay
Date: 11 Oct 2013 09:14:27
Message: <5257f9b3$1@news.povray.org>
"Jim Henderson"  wrote in message news:52509f91@news.povray.org...

> It really seems there *are* a lot of selfish people here.  The really odd
> thing (to me, anyways) is that the most selfish claim to be following a
> guy allegedly from about 2,000 years ago who taught such things as caring
> for the sick and the poor.  That was, in fact, one of the core lessons
> taught.

When I got my driver's license, my father offered to buy me a car ...

if ...

if if if ...

I told him to keep it. I was becoming a man and didn't care to replace
childhood with another form of subjugation. There are several reasons
besides selfishness (I'd include fear of centralized authority here, but
I've few sympathizers in this group) a person would reject involuntary
shared responsibility, even if he _benefits_ financially.

On religion, Thomas Jefferson said, "It does me no injury for my neighbor to
say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks
my leg.” I don't want /my/ lifestyle choices to pick another man's my pocket
or break his leg. I want them to remain /my/ lifestyle choices ... and for
your choices to remain yours.

If you'd prefer the equivalent to obligatory speed limits for diet,
recreation, and sexuality, then continue to oblige others with the
consequences of those choices. I'll forever object, but not out of greed.

-Shay