POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1] : Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1] Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad weather in Gancaloon [wip 1]
From: Stephen
Date: 6 Oct 2013 16:10:35
Message: <5251c3bb$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/10/2013 7:27 PM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> I suppose it depends on how your family got their surname.
>> IIRC you are from the West Indies, I can't remember if it is Barbados or
>> the Bahamas.
>
> Virgin Islands.

But whose Virgin Islands?

>> It might have been taken from the white slave master as a
>> generic one or from an individual. The latter would give you blood ties,
>> of course.
>
> Definitely from a slave master, although I do not know to what extent the master
> was doing the slave women.  Actually, the ethnic lines I can trace most directly
> are Seminole and Taino, although they are just a small part of my ancestry.  It
> would be nice to say I'm, say, Mandinka or Yoruba or something, but I just don't
> know.  Maybe when DNA sequencing drops below $1000 per request in 30 years or
> so...

That must be a bummer if you care about it. My mother never knew who her
father was. It made her really unhappy.
On a brighter note, I've worked with Yoruba in Nigeria, not the largest
tribe in the river states. But their tribal marks are recognisable.

>> As for Welsh or Scottish, it might be obvious to a Brit.
>> Jones, Welsh, Robertson probably Scots etc.
>
> Well, my mom's mom's maiden name was Jones (in Florida), although with our
> patrilineal system, that name is no longer in my side of the family.  My surname
> is Callwood, which in turn is apparently derived from Collingwood or something
> similar.  The names Brooks (Florida) and Abbot (Virgin Islands/Puerto Rico) are
> also in the mix.

Jones is as Welsh as the valleys and the others are English.
So no tartan for you unless you want to spend good money and make your
own. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen