POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Sep 2013 18:44:31
Message: <5249fecf@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Sep 2013 15:36:38 -0500, Shay wrote:

> "Jim Henderson"  wrote in message news:5249dcd8@news.povray.org...
>
>> One might also argue that obesity has long been around - in fact, food
>> related health issues were somewhat worse back "in the old days".
>
> Any evidence to for that opinion (excluding famine) would surprise me. I
> went to a seven-year-old's birthday party a few weeks ago. Every child
> there would have been considered overweight when we were kids.

That seems pretty anecdotal to me.  I'd want to see some real data.

But food-related health issues certainly have been around.  Logically, we
now know things about (for example) fat content, sodium consumption,
sugars, and so on that we didn't know 30 years ago.

Though arguably the best food advice was to be had 30 years ago, too -
"moderation".  We've certainly gone through "eggs are bad for you," "eggs
are good for you," back and forths over the last 10-15 years that have
led me to not really trust any of it beyond moderating intake of
everything.  Fast food once in a while is OK.  Fast food as a steady
diet?  Not so much.

>> But the topic the pundits in particular are talking about
>
> I'll take your word for it. I don't watch television or listen to talk
> radio.

That's probably a better way to stay sane, certainly. ;)

Jim