POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : df3 strangeness : Re: df3 strangeness Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: df3 strangeness
From: Ive
Date: 29 Sep 2013 10:05:31
Message: <524833ab$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.09.2013 14:27, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 29-9-2013 14:02, Thomas de Groot wrote:
>
> Could it be that the image format in which the tga slices are rendered
> influences the final result? In other words, should objects be rendered
> using a /square/ image format (1:1 ratio) in the first place? I blindly
> followed Gilles Tran's advice to use a 1.33 ratio. This might be
> irrelevant for clouds but not for other objects...

Gilles used in his demo a 512x384 pixel resolution, therefor a = 1.333
ratio (512/384 = 1.33...).
When you use another resolution also another scaling is required. The
same goes for the scaling in the z-direction, it depends on the the
number of slices you have produced in relation to the image dimension.

Years ago I've written a little C program that did work with 16bit png
images as input format for producing df3-files (I used it for some
stellar nebulae) and it did in addition spit out the required POV-Ray
scaling to keep the original proportions. Sadly I do not find it anymore
(and worst: not its source) but as it is really trivial I might do it
again...

-Ive