POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where after all it is: df3? : Re: Where after all it is: df3? Server Time
15 May 2024 02:54:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where after all it is: df3?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 28 Sep 2013 02:52:06
Message: <52467c96@news.povray.org>
Le 28/09/2013 07:55, LanuHum nous fit lire :
> Sorry!
> I look for here, I look for in Google...
> Bla-bla-bla-df3
> Df3-bla-bla-bla
> And so on
> Don't explain to me that it means
> Please, simply tell how to receive the df3 file?
> I found: tga2df3 for linux - page not found; sources in C++, Java and very much
> empty lines about df3 and anywhere it is real how the mere mortal to receive
> this file
>
> In official documentation:
>
>> 3.4.7.1.8.1 df3 file format
>
>> Header:
>>    The df3 format consists of a 6 byte header of three 16-bit integers with >high
order byte first. These three value
> s give the x,y,z size of the data in >pixels (or more appropriately called voxels ).
>> Data:
>>    The header is followed by x*y*z unsigned integer bytes of data with a
>resolution of 8, 16 or 32 bit. The data are
>  written with high order byte first >(big-endian). The resolution of the data is
determined by the size of the >df3-fil
> e. That is, if the file is twice (minus header, of course) as long as an >8 bit file
then it is assumed to contain 16 b
> it ints and if it is four times as >long 32 bit ints.
>
> It is very useful and is informative but as it helps with use POV-Ray?

"df3 density" would help your quest.

See also:
> http://paulbourke.net/miscellaneous/povexamples/

> http://www.mpa-garching.mpg.de/~mselig/povray/povray.html

> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/374/

df3 files are a binary description of a 3D cube split in voxel (smaller
cube): for each voxel, the relative density (0 to 255 for a 8 bits file)

You can find one example in include/spiral.df3 (used by
scenes/interior/media/galaxy.pov )

About generating your own df3 files, it depends on the source of your
data. Some people use 3D sampling of modelled meshes in other programs
to get them.