POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : No color from image_map pigment : Re: No color from image_map pigment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:23:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No color from image_map pigment
From: scott
Date: 24 Sep 2013 11:47:49
Message: <5241b425$1@news.povray.org>
> Not immediately sure, but I /think/ it is because you use a
> pigment_pattern which only reads black/white.

pigment_pattern takes a full-colour pigment and returns a greyscale
pattern. It's useful if you want to use a pigment as a pattern.

For example if you wanted to use a defined pigment instead of "gradient
x" you can do this:

       texture {
         pigment {
             // gradient x
             pigment_pattern { myPigment }

             pigment_map {
               [0.00 Red_Texture]
               [0.25 Red_Texture]
               [0.75 White_Texture]
               [1.00 White_Texture]
             }

           translate <0.5, 0.5, 0>
           rotate 180*y
           scale <24, 14, 1>
         }

However note the pigment_map is not inside pigment_pattern, otherwise
the Red_Texture or White_Texture would get chosen inside
pigment_pattern, then converted to greyscale (as the OP code did).