POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:11:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 19 Sep 2013 03:38:19
Message: <523aa9eb$1@news.povray.org>
On 18-9-2013 17:42, Stephen wrote:
>> A few loose thoughts about this, just to get my ideas clear.
>>
>> On 18-9-2013 12:41, Stephen wrote:
>>> There is more to it than that, Christian.
>>> Imagine a simple box materialising. Do we want to see the hidden faces as it
>>> goes from transparent to opaque?
>>
>> No. It would be the /shape/ of the box, the outline if you want,
>> becoming transparent.
>>

> That is what I think but we have grown up with special effects that show that
> this is the way to do it.

Indeed. So there are two options really: the rotoscoping effect where
the internal parts are invisible, or the fully transparent effect where
the internal parts become visible too. It would be interesting to
explore the former in terms of POV-Ray technique ;-)

>>> With a model of a police box all the internal
>>> and hidden detail would show.
>>
>> It shouldn't. While becoming transparent the inside remains hidden from
>> our eyes.
>>

> It depends how you look at it, ;-)
> If you change the transparency in Pov. You start seeing the internal structure.

Yes, so, how could we do it in POV and still have the internal parts
invisible? Or maybe that is impossible? I don't really know the answer
for sure.

>>> If a person went from invisible to translucent to
>>> visible, would you see their body under their clothes and what about all the
>>> internal organs?
>>
>> Again, invisible to the onlooker. Only the outward shape of the person
>> is involved.
>>

> But more interesting and medically valuable. :-)

Ah yes indeed ;-)

>>> Now with a Tardis how do we see that the inside is larger than the outside?
>>
>> An interesting challenge would be to show both (open doors). I did
>> something similar a very long time ago (>10 years) with a door to
>> another dimension. I cheated somewhat: The door opened into space
>> (galaxy.inc) and was made of a vertical plane mirror (reflecting space)
>> with a differenced door. Behind the door was a landscape cut off by the
>> vertical plane. I must have the code somewhere...
>>

> I thought of using a df3 that depicted an internal scene. But then got
> distracted with trying to use a proximity macro. Needless to say neither got
> finished.

With a df3? hmm never thought of that...

Thomas