POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bad Wolf : Re: Bad Wolf Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bad Wolf
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Sep 2013 07:54:34
Message: <5239947a@news.povray.org>
A few loose thoughts about this, just to get my ideas clear.

On 18-9-2013 12:41, Stephen wrote:
> There is more to it than that, Christian.
> Imagine a simple box materialising. Do we want to see the hidden faces as it
> goes from transparent to opaque?

No. It would be the /shape/ of the box, the outline if you want,
becoming transparent.

> With a model of a police box all the internal
> and hidden detail would show.

It shouldn't. While becoming transparent the inside remains hidden from
our eyes.

> If a person went from invisible to translucent to
> visible, would you see their body under their clothes and what about all the
> internal organs?

Again, invisible to the onlooker. Only the outward shape of the person
is involved.

> Now with a Tardis how do we see that the inside is larger than the outside?

An interesting challenge would be to show both (open doors). I did
something similar a very long time ago (>10 years) with a door to
another dimension. I cheated somewhat: The door opened into space
(galaxy.inc) and was made of a vertical plane mirror (reflecting space)
with a differenced door. Behind the door was a landscape cut off by the
vertical plane. I must have the code somewhere...

Thomas