POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fps : Re: fps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:24:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fps
From: Shay
Date: 17 Sep 2013 16:58:00
Message: <5238c258$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp"  wrote in message news:5238a05e@news.povray.org...
> I'm still having hard time understanding whether you want a rail shooter
> or a wide open sandbox, a game with an immersive storyline or a game with
> basically no storyline at all. I still can't really grasp what exactly
> you are looking for.

"Rail shooter" sounds promising. I assume "rail" means I'd be continually
directed towards challenging enemies rather that running for hours through
empty areas or bumping into trivial or impossible fights because I'd misused
my "freedom" and wandered into the "wrong" area. Bioshock feels pretty
"rail", but all the chores ruin Bioshock.

> !!!!! And I CAN'T BELIEVE the
> push-on-every-wall-to-check-for-hidden-passages concept from 1982's
> "Wizardry" exists to this day in the form of the
> check-every-drawer-for-money-and-clues tedium of "Bioshock" (and many
> others
> I'm sure) !!!!!

> You are basing your opinion on current FPS games on one single example?

Correct. I've also played Borderlands 1 and Fallout 3, but those didn't have
the Wizardry problem (though they did have "fetch quests" which weren't much
better).

> (Besides, you don't have to check every drawer in Bioshock if you don't
> want to.)

Technically, no, but you're pretty screwed if you don't. It feels like you
have a lot of ammo, but if you run out of special ammo, the stockpile of
normal ammo goes ======> quickly. You pretty much have to scrounge.

- Shay