POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:13:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: scott
Date: 17 Sep 2013 05:51:15
Message: <52382613@news.povray.org>
>> But a microchip is just a tad more complex than a combustion engine,
>> too.
>
> Not any more it's not. ;-)

Especially given that most engines have needed several microchips even
to start for at least a decade or two.

> I used to service my own cars and bikes. Other than check the fluids all
> I can do with the engine nowadays is check that it is still there. :-)

All cars have a diagnostic port, there is pretty cheap equipment you can
buy to attach to this and do lots of useful things. I was able to
diagnose a faulty fuel pressure sensor, replace it and reset the fault
codes. It cost me almost nothing, whereas the garage wanted it for 3
days to diagnose (surely $$$).

Engines have got a lot more complicated, but now we have the internet so
unless you have a *really* exotic car, there is always going to be
someone somewhere who has done/fixed what you want and documented it.