POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : fps : Re: fps Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:31:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: fps
From: Shay
Date: 16 Sep 2013 18:51:41
Message: <52378b7d@news.povray.org>
On 09/16/2013 04:54 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Sep 2013 16:44:43 -0400, Shay wrote:
>
>> Are there any actual fps video games (not bedtime stories) available for
>> ps3 (first choice) or Steam,
>
> I guess that depends on what specifically you're looking for.
>
> I enjoyed Portal 2, and have spent an awful lot of time playing
> Borderlands 2.
>
> Jim

I tried Borderlands 1 for a bit. It was OK until I, innocently enough,
went on one too many side quests and effectively broke the game by
becoming too powerful for the missions. Nothing was challenging after
that, so I just quit.

What do I want? What I want is to play a f-ing game. Let's look at the
*alleged* game Bioshock:

* There are big enemies that require a lot of ammo to kill. Dying
doesn't matter much and the AI is stupid, so you pretty much just pump
ammo into these enemies until they die. There's a "magic" system, but
that requires even more "ammo", so ammo is critical. And how do you get
ammo? By opening every door, looking in every ashtray, and scrounging
for nickels. zzzzzzzzzzzzz

* You've got to hack terminals and robots. It's not a choice. There's
not enough ammo to just kill everything. And how do you hack terminals
and robots? By playing a cheesy, not-even-challenging tile game that
belongs in start>programs>accessories. zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

* You've got to get Adam (just another kind of currency). And how do you
get Adam? By running around empty levels waiting for a "Little Sister"
to spawn. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

* You've got to listen to recordings--dozens of them--because some of
them have important information. You can't hear the recordings over the
sounds of combat. So, how do you listen to recordings? By planting your
ass somewhere quiet and waiting for the recording to end. zzzzzzzzzzzz

* You've got to take pictures. Well, maybe you don't exactly "got" to do
this one, but you're given a camera and are expected to "switch weapon >
click > switch weapon back" before starting a fight. You can't even
blast something as it's coming at you, you've got to duck back and take
a picture first. This was the last straw. This is where I quit the

*BONUS => As if all of the above weren't bad enough, this chore list
pauses every 20 minutes for a third-rate movie clip.

No! I won't do it. I can't believe this shit passes for entertainment.
Just let me play the damn game. PLEASE! I'm sorry, mr. game
manufacturer, that you're burdened with some obese media sponge's
expectation that he get 100 hours of "game play" for giving up $60 of
his candy money, but functioning adults might buy games too if you did a
better job.

  -Shay