POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Sep 2013 14:08:11
Message: <5235f78b@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:42:20 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> On 14/09/2013 9:33 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:52:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>>

>> See how much I know about cars?  I changed the battery once and was
>> shown how to change the brake pads once, but I'm no expert.  Amy knows
>> a lot more about that sort of stuff - which makes sense, since she grew
>> up in a family that works on cars (her brother teaches auto body repair
>> at the local vocational/technical school where she grew up).
>>

> It was necessity that taught me. Not a love of getting my hands dirty.

I think that was the case for Amy as well.  Family business, everyone
chips in.

> I was going to say, not quite idiot proof, but then I thought of one of
> my brothers-in-law. Who is handless but only knackers his computer
> because he downloads every free game he can. So I suppose it is.

:)

> Maybe it is age that makes me feel that I can't be bothered keeping up
> with the times but want to stay with something that works the way I know
> it works. And since I don't want all the touch screen junk. I might buy
> an ultra laptop (what a name) and buy a copy of Win7 and install that
> over Win 8.

Well, you just want to use it as a tool - you don't want to be a
mechanic. :)

>>> I might as well ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
>>> light weight laptop that has a reasonable spec to run PovRay and
>>> Blender and weighs a lot less the the 3kg (6.6 lb) DTR I have to lug
>>> around?
>>
>> I've been happy with my Dell laptop, but I'm not sure how much it
>> weighs.  It's a couple years old - the 17R (N7110 is another number I
>> see associated with it), but is pretty speedy (i7 processor) and has
>> plenty of memory (8GB, max for this model).
>>

> It looks good, similar spec to my Toshiba but with a bigger HDD. Still
> it is hefty at > 3 kg. I want something lighter even if it has a lower
> spec. All the travelling that I'm doing atm means my tennis elbow is
> playing up.

Some of the ultras are supposed to be pretty good - ISTR that Dell has
something like the Macbook Air now.  I'm actually a little surprised that
Apple hasn't sued them yet.

Jim