POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Sep 2013 06:42:19
Message: <52358f0b$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/09/2013 9:33 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Sep 2013 20:52:35 +0100, Stephen wrote:
>

> See how much I know about cars?  I changed the battery once and was shown
> how to change the brake pads once, but I'm no expert.  Amy knows a lot
> more about that sort of stuff - which makes sense, since she grew up in a
> family that works on cars (her brother teaches auto body repair at the
> local vocational/technical school where she grew up).

It was necessity that taught me. Not a love of getting my hands dirty.

>> So that is where the problem lies. Manufacturers don't make a lot of
>> money if they can't sell a product to lots of non technical people.
>> And if you try to make a computer idiot proof, techies rail at the
>> restrictions imposed.
>
> Yep.  And that's the problem Patrick has.  The system is idiot-proof, but
> he's no idiot, and wants to do what he wants to do.  You can't mass-
> market something like that, though, because the non-technical people who
> make up the "masses" are going to be idiots when it comes to technology,
> because they just want to drive to work, they don't want to fine-tune the
> fuel injection system.

I was going to say, not quite idiot proof, but then I thought of one of
my brothers-in-law. Who is handless but only knackers his computer
because he downloads every free game he can. So I suppose it is.

Maybe it is age that makes me feel that I can't be bothered keeping up
with the times but want to stay with something that works the way I know
it works. And since I don't want all the touch screen junk. I might buy
an ultra laptop (what a name) and buy a copy of Win7 and install that
over Win 8.

>> I want to buy a new laptop but I don't want Win 8 with "even your 5 year
>> old can operate it" OS. Nor do I want Linux where I'll have to learn a
>> new OS or not be able to run M$ office, for work compatibility.
>
> So you have to compromise and get the mass-market option.

Yes. Doesn't make me a happy bunny, though.

>> I might as well ask here. Does anyone have any recommendations for a
>> light weight laptop that has a reasonable spec to run PovRay and Blender
>> and weighs a lot less the the 3kg (6.6 lb) DTR I have to lug around?
>
> I've been happy with my Dell laptop, but I'm not sure how much it
> weighs.  It's a couple years old - the 17R (N7110 is another number I see
> associated with it), but is pretty speedy (i7 processor) and has plenty
> of memory (8GB, max for this model).

It looks good, similar spec to my Toshiba but with a bigger HDD. Still
it is hefty at > 3 kg. I want something lighter even if it has a lower
spec. All the travelling that I'm doing atm means my tennis elbow is
playing up.

--
Regards
     Stephen