POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 14:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 10 Sep 2013 22:13:30
Message: <522fd1ca$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/9/2013 9:50 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 09 Sep 2013 19:14:46 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> Oh, and.. more to the point, now that they have something semi-decent,
>
> What, you mean MS Security Essentials?  You think a /reactive/ tool is
> semi-decent?  One that isn't based on behaviour, but based on pattern
> matching?

No, I meant the just adding in the "basic" functionality, without even
the extra, "You need to pay us more money to fix the gaping hole, which
it still won't fix.", that got added. The one that says, "This thing
needs to alter your machine, are you sure you want that?" In a sense, I
was semi-joking. But, only just. They are putting locks, and alarms,
etc. on the doors, and bars that come down, so if something gets in, it
can't get out (presumably, only.. not really), and leaving an unlocked
pet door, a shitty email client, default functionality, etc. all in
place, and their "solution" is, as you say, to make you pay more money
for something that only reacts "after" the fact... Hell, I can download
and install free tools to do that, and many of them watch the system for
changes, and specifically tell me which key changes, and whether or not
I want the damn thing to auto-run, or roll back the changes. So much for
"reactive" tools.

My point though is.. they can't even get the basics right, and, as a
result, basic shit that you can do safely in *nix, is locked, in case
your stupid enough to click something in an unprotected email, which
redirects you to a bad site, using "by default" 1005 active scripting,
to download a program, with no run restrictions, which will then, if the
writer has the slightest clue what they are doing, or buys the right
tool kit, will just disable everything it sees that might find it,
and/or alters the "whitelists" for those things, to include itself, or
any number of other things it **shouldn't have permission to do in the
first place**. Yet, they can't even do something as simple as adding a
NoScript like feature, into their web browser, which runs "everything"
on the machine, including their shitty email client... But, they block
security tools. You know.. the things you need to figure out why the
frak your network is going spastic, or even just your machine, due to
all the crap they let in the front door, but them Hotel California-d -
anything can check in, but its not allowed to leave. lol

You can argue all you want about my not having "solutions". The issue
here is just how bloody stupid the one things they added, and never
removed, 3-4 OS versions ago, actually is.