POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 7 Sep 2013 16:51:25
Message: <522b91cd$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 03:32:11 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > I would guess that they need fewer staff to support fat32, fewer
>> > developers to maintain it, fewer testers to test it, etc.  It all
>> > adds up.
>> >

>> Why would they need fewer people to support FAT32 by arbitrarily
>> limiting the size of the drives you can use it on to 1/1000th of its
>> full potential?
>
> Is there a reason why someone would want to use FAT32 instead of eg.
> NTFS?
>
> FAT32 is significantly slower than NTFS with some operations. (For
> example,
> defragmenting a large FAT32 partition can take over 24 hours, while the
> exact same partition with the exact same data as NTFS takes something
> like 15 minutes to defragment.)

Arguably, NTFS is a journaled filesystem, and journaled filesystems on
flash media generally burn them out faster.  Wear leveling helps with it,
but the journal really isn't desirable on that type of media because it
shortens the media's life.

FAT32 (or vfat) is also desirable for lots of mobile devices (for that
very reason) and for portability between different operating systems.
While NTFS-3G provides pretty decent NTFS support in Linux, it's still
not as mature as the vfat/fat32 support in the kernel (of course, it
never really will be).

Jim